Monday, January 26, 2009

Care for a Package?

We put a care package in the mail to our little guy today. According to the USPS, it should arrive there in 6-10 business days. When I put the package on the counter at the post office, the lady asked me to fill out a Customs form. No problem, at least at first. In the space for the foreign address I didn’t know what to put, as I’d been emailed the address to send it to, but other than “Beijing, the People’s Republic of China”, it was all in Chinese! The clerk had never encountered that before. After talking to her manager and making a couple calls she decided it was okay to simply photocopy the address and stick that on all 6 (yes 6!) copies of the Customs form. It cost about as much to send the package as it did for the package contents.

In addition to what’s in the picture above, our package also included a map of the United States and a map of Oklahoma, with our location circled. Needless to say, we are not exactly next door to Disneyland, so I hope he’s not disappointed about that! The package also includes a one page letter which our China Case Manager was gracious enough to translate into Chinese, in which we gave him a little information about ourselves, where we live, hobbies and interests, etc.

Tulsa is under a winter storm warning (freezing rain and sleet), so we’re hunkered down with plenty of firewood and a few food essentials. The last time we got an ice storm here, December 2007, we lost power for 5 days, as did much of Tulsa. Supposedly that was a once in a lifetime event, so hopefully this one won’t be too bad. I just wish it would snow instead, as some of the best times I’ve had with the girls (Gentry and Madison, see picture above in my profile) were when we got 5 or 6 inches of snow. They get so giddy and playful…..and tired! One of the pictures we sent our little guy shows them along with me and our 2 nieces (on my wife’s side) playing in the snow. Great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment